Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Take me home, country roads



I took a 'Get Acquainted' ride on my new bike yesterday. It was my second time on the bike, the first being the trip home from the dealer.

I choose to ride out into rural western Howard County for two reasons; 1) the scenery is nice and, 2) lack of traffic! I get nervous just being in the garage with this behemoth, let alone in heavy traffic. There, I admit it. This bike intimidates me! It's big! Maybe not like an Electra Glide, but certainly heftier than the Buells we rode in Rider's Edge.

But that will pass with more time on the beast, and even though I was mildly nervous during the entire ride, the overriding feeling for the entire 45 mile junket was pure, unadulterated joy! What a rush! If you ride, you know what I'm talking about! When I got back home, my jaw was sore from grinning so much! Everything melted away except the road, the bike and me. There was no singing to the radio, no cell phone chat, no dinner menu planning, no pondering the latest governmental screw up. Just thoughts about the bike, the blessings of the weather, the beauty of the countryside, and the dawning realization that I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth!

Ride true!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very "zen" experience. I see a book coming on.

    ReplyDelete